What could be better than going out to eat at your favorite breakfast restaurant? Well, what if you had the ability to bring that restaurant right into your kitchen with the help of a single small appliance? The Presto Foldaway Skillet is a phenomenal tool to have at your cooking disposal when you’re craving a giant stack of pancakes or some thin and crispy bacon.
With plenty of other different meals you can cook right in the comfort of your own home, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t consider having an electric skillet of your own.
Features of The Presto Foldaway Skillet
- Non-stick cooking surface
- Dishwasher safe skillet and cover
- Built-in pouring spout and accessory holder
- Completely foldable design for easy storage
- Multipurpose cooking options
- Tempered glass cover
- Temperature-safe handles
- Temperature-controlled skillet
There are plenty things to be excited about when it comes to the Presto Foldaway Skillet, including:
High heat settings allow for easy and efficient cooking: If there’s one thing home cooks notice with other skillets, it’s that they typically don’t allow you to heat the skillet past 200 or 300 degrees. However, the Presto Foldaway Skillet gives you the opportunity to adjust the heat up to 400 degrees, making it the perfect tool for cooking a variety of different meals.
1. Easy to disassemble for cleaning: You’re undoubtedly going to need to clean up after every meal and instead of attempting to jam a sponge into all of the crevices of a traditional skillet; the Presto Foldaway model can easily be disassembled and cleaned.
2. Deep and high capacity skillet design: Another advantage of the Presto Foldaway Skillet is it offers a deep and high capacity design, which is perfect for creating gravies, cakes, or even cornbread. The cooking surface is just less than three inches deep, which makes it easier to cook different things without having to worry about spilling of fat or batter.
3. No need to worry about cold or hot spots: With an evenly designed heating element underneath the skillet, you won’t have to worry about dealing with overly cold or hot spots which can burn certain parts of your meals and keep the others from cooking. Instead, the heat on this electric skillet is evenly distributed along the entire surface so you can create the perfect meals the first time around.
A few concerns you might experience with the Presto Foldaway Skillet include:
1. “Warm” settings may cause additional cooking: If there’s one thing that can be said about this skillet, it’s that it makes cooking far easier, especially when you need to get the cooking surface to a high temperature.
Unfortunately, its high heat settings can also make it incredibly difficult to keep food warm, rather than allowing it to continually cook. It’s not recommended to use the Presto Foldaway Skillet as a buffet server, as even the “Low Warm” settings can cause food to burn. It keeps on cooking, so be careful to turn off the unit.
Not recommended for use with metal utensils: Considering the surface is non-stick aluminum, it’s important to avoid using metal utensils on the surface as it can lead to the surface wearing away. Ideally, you should use non-stick utensils that are designed to be soft on cooktops; otherwise, you’ll need to replace your cooktop sooner than you think.
2. Slow preheating function: Although the Presto Foldaway Skillet does cook thoroughly, it takes a substantial amount of time to preheat (up to 15 minutes). This can be inconvenient if you’re trying to cook breakfast in a rush or if you’re attempting to bake a cake a couple of hours before a party.
Built-In Pouring Spout and Utensil/Accessory Holder: If you’re cooking something that requires the use of liquids, the built-in pouring spout is designed to make cooking simpler without having to worry about spills. Once all of the batter has been poured into the skillet, you can then use the spout as a utensil/accessory holder for your spatula or spoon.
1. Multipurpose Cooking Options: Due to its substantial depth, there are plenty of things the Presto Foldaway Skillet enables you to create such as roasts, grilled meats and vegetables, baked goods, stews, soups, and more.
2. Temperature Controlled Skillet: With multiple heat settings to choose from, you can customize the temperature of the skillet with ease. It does not allow you to choose temperatures down to the degree, but you can choose between “Low Warm” and “High Heat” options.
3. Temperature-Safe Handles: To make maneuvering the unit even easier, you’ll surely appreciate the temperature-safe handles that are specifically designed to keep cool while cooking. This also helps to add to the safety of using the skillet around pets and children.
Additional Thoughts on Electric Skillets
When you’re deciding between a few different types of electric skillets on the market, you’re going to need to think about the size of the cooking space and the distribution of heat.
Cooking Space: With a 16-inch cooking surface, you’ll have more than enough room to cook a one-pot meal and multiple portions for everyone in your family. When you think about it, the Presto Foldaway Skillet offers more cooking space than a traditional circular stovetop pan. Unlike other skillets on the market, such as the Proctor Silex 38526 which only offers 11 inches of cooking space.
Heat Distribution: One complaint many people have with their traditional skillets is that the cooking surface is hotter in some areas, forcing their food to cook unevenly. This is something you won’t have to worry about with the Presto model as it offers even heat distribution across the entire skillet.
The Presto Foldaway Skillet Verdict
There’s nothing you’d be missing out on if you opted for the Presto Foldaway Skillet, as it’s not only designed to be easy to store when you’re not using it, but it’s also incredibly versatile when it comes to cooking a variety of dishes. You can easily master the perfect pancakes or fresh and moist cupcakes with ease.
In addition, with its phenomenal heating power, it’s resilient cooking surface, and it’s safety features, this electric skillet covers relatively every base you can think of. You can’t go wrong when it comes to choosing this small appliance for everyday home-cooked meals.