Even before the world was faced with its economic crisis in 2008, people were looking for ways to extend freshness and help reduce food waste by finding the best storage solutions. There are several reasons to store food besides for the unknown apocalypse that doomsday fanatics fear will come. Sometimes rather than using an entire broccoli for a meal, you might have just used half of it, or you might have bought something on sale that you had no intentions of eating immediately. So, one of the solutions for long-term food storage is using the foodsaver 2-in-1 vacuum sealing system.
A food vacuum sealer helps to preserve food, and its usage can be traced all the way back to the commercial 1940’s. It is used to prevent spoilage and prolong the life of the food by removing the air from its packaging. Once the air is vacuumed out of the food’s packaging, the growth of bacteria and molds are hindered, and food can be kept fresh. Below, you can read about a product that can do such.
FoodSaver 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealing System
The FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer is intended to be a starter kit as the package contains the vacuum sealing system, an 11 x 10 inches roll, three one-quart heat seal bags, two one gallon heat seal bags and two one gallon zipper bags.
- Automatic bag detection system
- Drip tray that is removable
- Handheld and retractable
- Indicator light
- Moist and dry food settings
- Marinade mode
- Listed Weight: 10 pounds
- Size Dimensions: 11 x 20 x 12 inches
- An air-tight sealing system: The vacuum is designed to remove all air from zipper bags and other specialty bags. These bags are also designed to help keep air out of the bags and prevent freezer burn. The best application is for pantry items and foods that need to be refrigerated or frozen.
- Easy to clean dish tray: When you seal a lot of moist food, liquid tends to accumulate in the drip tray. When too much liquid is present in the tray, you will be alerted that you need to clean it. Doing so will not be much of a hassle as you can just put it in your dishwasher.
- Automatic operation: The vacuum sealer automatically detects the bags and starts sealing. This can save you time as you will not have to press start or stop. You also have the option of just sealing or vacuuming the air out.
- Can seal items that contain delicate food: besides being able to store meats, poultry, vegetables and dry pantry items, the sealer can also store delicate items like cakes, cookies, muffins and tender fruits.
- Keeps food fresher: Using this sealer can keep your foods up to five times fresher.
- Multi-use: This product is designed to seal bags, canisters, and containers without the need of using any form of attachments. In addition, this machine can also be used for marinating food.
- Does not seal items with liquids: Sealing items with liquid using this product is likely to cause a big mess. However, to get around the messiness of sealing liquids, you can freeze the liquids in a freezer bag or container before attempting to seal it as per the advice given in the user’s manual. This practice does not really prevent freezer burn as ice would form.
- Quite tedious to use for some: It takes a little getting used to getting the sealer bags aligned. You have to make several attempts to get it to work to seal and vacuum. If the air is vacuumed and it refuses to seal, you should not attempt to press the seal button as it will let air back in before sealing it. Practice makes perfect, so take your time and you’ll get the hang of it.
The FoodSaver 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealing System uses a combination of both a handheld and standard vacuum sealer. It has automatic detection and can seal multiple items, from zipper bags to canisters using its retractable and handheld mechanism. If you have sealed several moist items, there is no need to worry about clean up as the removable drip tray is dishwasher safe. To add more, the lights will blink once the tray needs to be emptied out of drips or cleaned.
There are a few numbers of advantages of using this food vacuum sealer over traditional storage such as its ability to keep your food fresher for up to five times longer. In addition, this product can seal dry, moist, and delicate food. However, when you decide to seal items containing liquid, you might need to take several steps prior to prevent too much mess. Nonetheless, another great thing about this product is that it can help speed up the process of marination.
Comparison with another Food Vacuum Sealer Brand
The FoodSaver 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealing System can be compared to the NutriChef Vacuum Sealer since their functionality is similar. With that said, like the FoodSaver, the NutriChef sealer works by vacuuming the air and sealing for the preservation of wet and dry food as well as pantry items. Its system is also intended for use as a starter kit and is designed with an automatic system. However, the FoodSaver is two times more expensive than the NutriChef Sealer.
On the other hand, the NutriChef Sealer comes in several color options including silver, black and stainless steel while the FoodSaver 2-in-1 only has one. Nonetheless, with the NutriChef sealer, there is no mention of a removable drip tray, but they have assured that it was designed so that the housing can be easy to clean.
The best way to maintain food freshness is to invest in a quality food vacuum sealer. The manufacturer of the FoodSaver 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealing System claims that using their sealer can keep your food fresher for an extended period. However, while there are advantages, it is not the most cost-effective option. The good thing is that it is multipurpose and you will not worry about too much mess in your kitchen due to drips. Nonetheless, if you have a fixed and tight budget for purchasing appliances, you should consider purchasing your food vacuum sealer from another manufacturer.
You might also like this: Shop for the Best Coffee Makers